Re: Rough Update and Question

From: W . Northcott
Subject: Re: Rough Update and Question
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 16:41:24 +1000

>You won't be able to get Swarm running under MacOS X with the current
>codebase due to some tricky low-level runtime issues w.r.t. MacOS
>X/GCC/ObjC/GNUStep toolchain.  There is an active porting project, led

As a result of the various discussions in recent weeks, I am sure that
Swarm could be compiled on MacOS X with only minor tweaks.  Problems with
development tools have largely been solved in Jaguar. I notice the latest
cvs tag (gcc3-1210) describes itself as gcc3.3.  Unfortunately it will not
compile right now on my system.

You would have to use XFree86 with tcl/tk8.3 in order for BLT to compile.
Indeed I have got this far.
The MacOS X Aqua version of tcl/tk is 8.4 which is not yet supported by
BLT.  I notice that MacOS X isms have been appearing in the BLT cvs in
recent days.  So this may improve.

Any Swarm Objective-C code, including models, would have to be compiled
with the -fgnu-runtime flag and it would not be possible to use any Apple
Objective-C frameworks like AppKit or Foundation.
 am hoping to get enough time in the next couple of weeks to make this
happen.  Also the usual MacOS X flags -fno-common and -dynamic to produce
.dylibs.  If you use PB it wil take care of this for you.

Bill Northcott