Re: GNUstep and MacOS X Port Effort

From: Perrone Alessandro
Subject: Re: GNUstep and MacOS X Port Effort
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 15:45:53 +0200

Hi
As I result of a general lack of interest some weeks back, I got to be
coordinator for the MacOS X port.

OK, In my opionion there's not lack of interest, the problem is that there are not a lot of programmers under MacOsX. A lot of people are only "end-user". I know objc, and I program Mac since a few year, and I could give you all the help you need. I know several people who can give me an hand to program, even if they are not Macintosh users, but they are programmers as job.

There seeems to have been much fairly enthusiastic discussion amongst
various programmers regarding the merits of rewriting Swarm on the GNUstep
foundation.

All I'd like to have, is an executable version of Swarm, in "short time". If this means to rewrite Swarm on GnuStep/Project Builder, that's ok.

2.  Objectives (Wish list) in no particular order
a. Swarm should be simple to install on any 'standard' GNUstep or MacOS X
system.  Other than GNUstep the only other non-standard item should be
hdf5 if it is required.

The easy or difficult of installation will be a further problem. You can build the Rpm, or img files. First of all it should be good to have a "working alpha version", then we'll decide how to install it.

b.  To facilitate the above, Swarm should not make any C calls into the
'runtime'.

ok

c.  The phasic object system should be preserved and possiby elaborated.

In a first stage, it should be preserved, then, maybe, elaborated.

d.  The GNUstep/Cocoa classes should provide the GUI eliminating
dependence on Tcl/Tk/BLT

Are you sure? The compilation of tcl/tk/blt under XWindow is not difficult. Maybe in a second stage, we could eliminte the "tcl/tk/blt X-window calls" and use the MacOsX graphical features.

e.  As many basic classes as possible should come from the standard
libraries, to maximise the benefit from work done by others.

I agree with you

f.  Wherever possible existing APIs should be supported even if deprecated
for new modelling.

I agree with you

3.  Observations
a.  Marcus has observed that the purpose of the mframe stuff in the
runtime is to support the link between Java and ObjC.  GNUstep and Cocoa
already contain such a link.  Indeed Apple has put a lot of development
effort into this.  We should use this and scrap mframe which is a nasty
machine specific klugeTM.

ok

b.  Being totally Gatesophobic, I have no idea how this plays on Windoze.
Is there a workable Cygwin/GNUstep installation available?

Our main problem is to do a GnuStep-Swarm for OsX. Once it'll be ready, we'll think about a WIndoze/Linux version.

c.  The above scenario is based on a possibly unfounded belief that
GNUstep and MacOS X/Cocoa have a large degree of source code compatability
at the level we would require for Swarm.  Any comments?

What exaclty do you mean?

d.  Method functions are incompatable with the above objectives as well as
being abhorrent to any OO believer.  They should be given a decent burial.
e.  On the MacOS X front, none of the above removes the need to get a
basic Swarm on XFree86 running as a learning exercise.

Perfect. Icompletely  agree.

f.  The root object of Swarm is Object which maybe can be built by
extending NSObject, which makes the above at least faintly plausible.
I think yes.
Regards.
                                ALEX