RE: Swarm futures

From: Christopher J. Mackie
Subject: RE: Swarm futures
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 14:03:03 -0400

Glen Ropella writes:

>Or perhaps we could pick a place where very little work has been done
so far
>like developing a continually evolving OO database whose objects and
clusters
>of objects periodically migrate into the processor for various reasons
and
>marshal themselves to communicate or to travel.

I like this idea a lot: the connection between ABMs and OO databases
needs to be made much easier, and a truly integrated ABM/OODB framework
could be an incredibly powerful, flexible modeling asset--truly a 'next
generation' tool, as opposed to a better, this-generation mousetrap.

>The bottom-line, here, is that the SDGs implementation of Swarm is
difficult to
>use.  It makes great strides in bridging the modeler/ programmer gap;
but, in
>doing so, burrowed itself in deep enough to make evolving the tool
difficult.
>On the other hand, many other packages, by adopting simplifying
assumptions,
>are easier to use, but are too limiting to be used for large-scale,
long-lived
>projects, which makes them difficult to evolve, as well.

Amen--to the specific point and to the need to 'back out' of the present
development cycle and come at the problem afresh.

I would definitely show up and attempt to help, were we to have this
conversation at SwarmFest.

--Chris

Christopher J. Mackie
Princeton University