Re: Anybody has experience with Normal distriubution of javaswarm?

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: Anybody has experience with Normal distriubution of javaswarm?
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 16:18:06 -0500

Please consult the recently enhanced guidelines on how to ask for help:

http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/SwarmFaq/SwarmOnlineFaq.html#5.1

I don't understand why this one crashes and i wonder if it is caused by something in your computer's operating system or the particular edition of Swarm you are using. One can only speculate. It appears to me the setting phase usage should be sufficient. Are you sure meanGAParameterMutation and stdGAPParameterMutation are doubles?

In the manual  I see;
DistImpl(Zone aZone, Object generator, double mean, double sdev)

and I think that means you could try to get all this done in the constructor:

NormalDistImpl normDist = new NormalDistImpl(getZone(),Globals.env.randomGenerator, meanGAParameterMutation,stdGAParameterMutation);

This takes care of it all in one shot. I don't do a lot of Java, so my syntax here for your Zone may not be exactly right.

I do know the Normal does work because I have a project that uses it and my usage is this style:
  NormalDist1 = new NormalDistImpl (getZone(), newRandomGenForNormal1) ;

  holderfloat = NormalDist1.getSampleWithMean$withVariance (70, 100);

and it does work.

pj

Hu, Jianjun wrote:
I am using the swarm-2.1.1 java version.  but now I met the following
problem.
The normal distribution of the swarm doesn't work!.

Here is my simple code:

         NormalDistImpl normDist = new NormalDistImpl();
         normDist.setMean$setStdDev(meanGAParameterMutation,
stdGAParameterMutation);

         if ((Globals.env.uniformDblRand.getDoubleWithMin$withMax (0.0, 1.0))
                 < pGAParameterMutation){
                 double offset = normDist.getDoubleSample();    //Gaussian
mutations
                 pGASitDefault+= offset;
                 if(pGASitDefault<0) pGASitDefault = 0.0;
                 else if(pGASitDefault>1) pGASitDefault = 1.0;
         }

compilation is ok. but
The runtime error is:
unable to find Java selector `setMean:setStdDev:' in objc:`JavaProxy'
0xa6ae0d8 java: 0xa17cf90 hash: 18063

It seems that I can't call the setMean$setStdDev function.

What's wrong?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Jianjun  Hu