Re: Swarm and C++ model

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Re: Swarm and C++ model
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 05:44:18 -0700

It should be doable today with XPCOM (which is a part of Mozilla).  I,
personally,
haven't done it; but, if you search the swarm-support archives, you'll see
several
messages back and forth between Daniel Kottow and Marcus Daniels.  The
thread starts in December of 2001.

If, however, you simply want to run c++ from ObjC, and your c++ code is
fairly self-reliant, *and* you don't mind compiling both your ObjC and your c++
with the same compiler, then you can just declare your c++ interface functions
as "extern" in a header file made available to your objc classes and call
them directly.

The only trick is to use the right version of the compiler (g++ for the linking
but include -lobjc) and call the c++ with the munged names.  You can find
the munged names by calling "g++ -S -c xyz.cc".

glen

>Swarm never had an explicit C++ interface, nor was going to. There was
>to be a CORBA interface which could then be intrecaed to C++ models
>via the IDL mechanism. I don't know if this CORBA interface ever made
>it inot public releases though.
>
>                                               Cheers
>
>M Lang / S Railsback wrote:
>>
>> Richard Leow wrote:
>> >
>> > Swarm Suppport:
>> >
>> > I want to write some model using C++ and
>> > run it under Swarm environment. I wonder if
>> > you could help me on following questions:
>> >
>> > 1.  Can I write my model in C++ (OR C++ objects)
>> >     and run it under Swarm environment?
>> >     (If I compiled my prog.cc prgm into an
>> >      object code file, ie, prgm.o)
>> >
>> >     If yes, how can I do it.
>> >
>> > 2.  Is there an Object-C(Swarm)/C++ interface available?
>> >     Is it hard to write one?
>>
>> I recently asked your second question and the answer seemed to be: Most
>> of the work has been done for making the Swarm ObjC libraries available
>> to C++ code, but funding ran out before it could be cleaned up and
>> distributed. So it is kind of waiting for someone with the interest, and
>> skills or funding, to complete.
>>
>> If someone more intimate with the code can address your first question
>> and possibly elaborate on my answer, that would be good.
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> --
>> address@hidden
>> Lang, Railsback & Assoc.
>> 250 California Ave., Arcata CA 95521
>> 707-822-0453; Fax 822-1868
>>
>>                   ==================================
>>    Swarm-Support is for discussion of the technical details of the day
>>    to day usage of Swarm.  For list administration needs (esp.
>>    [un]subscribing), please send a message to <address@hidden>
>>    with "help" in the body of the message.

>A/Prof Russell Standish                 Director
>High Performance Computing Support Unit, Phone 9385 6967, 8308 3119 (mobile)
>UNSW SYDNEY 2052                        Fax   9385 6965, 0425 253119 (")
>Australia                               address@hidden
>Room 2075, Red Centre                    http://parallel.hpc.unsw.edu.au/rks
>            International prefix  +612, Interstate prefix 02

>   Swarm-Support is for discussion of the technical details of the day
>   to day usage of Swarm.  For list administration needs (esp.
>   [un]subscribing), please send a message to <address@hidden>
>   with "help" in the body of the message.

--
-- glen e. p. ropella                              =><=
    Hail Eris!