Re: MacOS X installation

From: W . Northcott
Subject: Re: MacOS X installation
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 14:31:17 +1000

Marcus wrote
>So they keep saying.  I see none of this in the FSF tree, and no
>discussion about it on the GCC mailing list.  Their own CVS tree of

Discussion of this seems to be on the Darwin developer lists.  Perhaps you
don't see these.  There is, as you can imagine, a lively war about the
file layout and packages.

>back-to-basics-serve-the-common-man whatever way it is that they do,
>but they shouldn't expect people in the GNU community to kill
>themselves to bridge the gap *they* have created.

I don't think they expect the GNU community to bridge the gap.  They do
seem to regard it as important.  I think it is very much in their interest
develop easy porting mechanisms for FSF stuff onto MacOS X.  It an obvious
way to get their market share in academic community rising again.  There
are certainly a number of the Windoze users in our Faculty who are
seriously interested.

>Want to run Swarm on a Mac?  My advice is get LinuxPPC.

I have spent considerable time with LinuxPPC, but Mac on Linux is just not
the Classic environment of OS X.  It doesn't hack it as an system for
every day use.

Bill Northcott