Re: MacOS X installation

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: MacOS X installation
Date: 25 Jan 2001 18:32:00 -0800

WN> let me say that I am very interested in porting Swarm to MacOS X.

That's great, and it's a perfect job for a Mac enthusiast.

I was a NeXT developer in the early 90s, and I've seen MacOS X `evolve'
through OpenStep, WebObjects, and now the public beta.  NeXT was always
bad about fixing bugs, always had to be nagged to release their source
code modifications to GNU tools, and always had some aspect of idiosyncratic,
and unhelpful weirdness to their toolchain.

WN> The GUI is much more like Classic MacOS while the underpinnings
WN> will be much more GNU friendly due the work being done by the
WN> Darwin hackers.

So they keep saying.  I see none of this in the FSF tree, and no
discussion about it on the GCC mailing list.  Their own CVS tree of
GCC is changing, but not changing in the direction of the FSF tree AFAICT.
They've been talking about adding Mach-O BFD extensions to standardize
GDB for literally five years.  And still no evidence of progress.

Of course, Apple is free to innovate all day in whatever
back-to-basics-serve-the-common-man whatever way it is that they do,
but they shouldn't expect people in the GNU community to kill
themselves to bridge the gap *they* have created.

Want to run Swarm on a Mac?  My advice is get LinuxPPC.
And if you really want MacOS X, just be prepared for violence...