Re: Any one using Compaq(DEC) Tru64 UNIX?

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: Any one using Compaq(DEC) Tru64 UNIX?
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 17:25:48 -0600

"Marcus G. Daniels" wrote:

> WN> process_ivar(), file: HDF5Object.m, line: 800 differing source and
> WN> target types 11/8
>
> A fix for that one is below.
>
> WN> That leaves one error still stopping us working.  (The ArtStkMkt code
> WN> still crashes at exactly the same place) I will try hacking 3.  My
> WN> suspicion is that the problems 1 and 2 are also caused within
> WN> internal.m.
>
> I don't get a crash using the ASM-2.0 code from ftp.swarm.org, but
> I do get a crash when I try to run Paul's newer code on sourceforge.
>
> The symptom is a failed allocation from a silly value of numfcasts.
> If you're nice to Paul, maybe he'll help investigate since he has
> direct access to the machine and knows the ASM code better than I do.
Hmm. OK, i'm in.  But you will have to tell me what you see and how to
reproduce it, as I was not aware of any ArtStkMkt discussion going on
because the thread had Compaq in the title.

I'd just like to offer, in my defense, that the ASM-2.0 code has several
disconnects that mean the internals do not match the model specs.   The
model dynamics shown in the graph do not match the output of the
original objc code.  Closing those up may account for the seg fault, I
don't know.  I guess I mean to weasle with something like "even though
something I did introduces a crash, at least it is a substantively more
interesting crash than the ones I got with the original ASM :) "