Re: Any one using Compaq(DEC) Tru64 UNIX?

From: W . Northcott
Subject: Re: Any one using Compaq(DEC) Tru64 UNIX?
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:56:47 +1000

Marcus wrote
>The machine I have access to, thanks to Paul Johnson, is running
>Digital Unix 4.0d, which to my best guess is a couple revisions behind
>Tru64 Unix Version (4.0f).  The latest Tru64 is 5.1?

>Anyway, I did have problems with floating points on 4.0f, and
>I could get it to pass the test by making this change:

Congratulations and many thanks you nailed one.  We are down to 3 or
really? two errors rather than 3.

Remaining errors in make check are:
1.
*** event raised for error: LoadError
*** function: process_ivar(), file: HDF5Object.m, line: 800
differing source and target types 11/8*** execution terminating due to
error
Symbol.m:173 -[Error(c) _raiseEvent:]

2.
*** event raised for error: LoadError
*** function: process_ivar(), file: HDF5Object.m, line: 800
differing source and target types 11/8*** execution terminating due to
error
Symbol.m:173 -[Error(c) _raiseEvent:]

3.
*** event raised for error: InvalidArgument
*** function: nil_method(), file: internal.m, line: 1349
The message `putString:' was sent to nil.
*** execution terminating due to error
Symbol.m:173 -[Error(c) _raiseEvent:]

We have spent some time on 1 and 2.  As I am sure you know the two ints
(11/8) are ivarType and type.
The code seems to be wrong, but we can't quite see where.  It appears that
the value of ivarType is implementation dependent but the value of type is
not because it is always effectively an int.  On a 32 bit machine they may
be the same but on the Alpha they differ.  As we are not using HDF5 we can
patch these out at configure time, and leave it as a problem for later.

That leaves one error still stopping us working.  (The ArtStkMkt code
still crashes at exactly the same place)
I will try hacking 3.  My suspicion is that the problems 1 and 2 are also
caused within internal.m.

Thanks again for the help.
Bill Northcott