Re: execution time

From: M Lang / S Railsback
Subject: Re: execution time
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 20:04:58 -0800

"Marcus G. Daniels" wrote:

> PT>     Is it useful to invest some time experimenting the Beowulf
> PT> project to run Swarm on a cluster of Linux PC?
>
> I would instead suggest investigating Mosix (http://www.mosix.org).
> It's a kernel extension to Linux that makes process migration
> transparent.

Let me ask a related question- what might be a good hardware solution to
the problem of models with lots of agents doing lots of things, assuming
no parallelization? A year or so ago somebody recommended DEC Alpha
workstations as a good workhorse; meanwhile there are faster Intel
machines out. Does anybody have any sound recommendations?

Is CPU speed the only real issue, assuming you can always add enough
RAM?

Under what conditions is it a big advantage to have two processors? I
suppose multiple model runs can be shipped to different processors- does
a workstation running NT do stuff like that automatically?

Steve
--
address@hidden
Lang, Railsback & Assoc.