Re: Mathematica to Java made easier

From: Miles Parker
Subject: Re: Mathematica to Java made easier
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 13:59:24 -0400

Cool..of course, they make their money off of Mathematica licenses (at $1000+ a
pop!), so they probably figure anything to get more people using it is all good.

>Just thought this might be of interest:
>
>I just grabbed a beta and free (as in costs no
>money) version of JLink, a new product from Mathematica that
>allows for easy two way communcation between a Java program
>and Mathematica. Previous solutions, such as MathLink were
>costly, proprietary, and in C (of course JLink may not cost
>$0 for long either).
>
>The URL:
>
>http://www.wolfram.com/news/jlink.html
>
>One interesting feature is the ability to display images
>(equations, graphs etc.) rendered by the Mathematica kernel
>in a Java window. Although I haven't quite worked out the
>details yet this means that one could  in theory feed data
>from a JavaSwarm program to the kernel, perform some
>analysis and manipulation and incorporate the output (e.g.
>3D parametric plots) in a Java GUI window.
>
>Benedikt
>
>--
>Benedikt Stefansson      | address@hidden
>CASA, Inc.               | Ph : (505) 988-8807 x101
>Santa Fe, NM 87501       | Fax: (505) 988-3440

>   Swarm-Support is for discussion of the technical details of the day
>   to day usage of Swarm.  For list administration needs (esp.
>   [un]subscribing), please send a message to <address@hidden>
>   with "help" in the body of the message.

Miles T. Parker
Software Engineer
The Brookings Institution  1775 Mass. Ave. NW  Washington, DC  20036
http://www.brook.edu/es/dynamics/models/ascape
mailto:address@hidden  voice 202.797.6136  fax 202.797.6319