Re: updating to 1.4

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Re: updating to 1.4
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 10:29:33 -0500

frink wrote:

> I had the same problem.  Part of the problem is the
> egcs-objc-2.90-1.i386.rpm which the swarmapps require installs
> incorrectly over the 2.90.27 version of egcs that ships with RedHat 5.1.
> I tried to work my way backwards (remove swarm 1.4, remove egcs-objc,
> remove egcs-2.90.27) then install the newer egcs rpms
> (egcs-2_90_29-1_i386.rpm), This failed as well because the egcs rpms
> didn't remove completely/properly so the new egcs pkg wouldn't install.
>
> Now I'm thinking (with regards to Pual E. Johnson's last msg re: Redhat,
> libpng, and Swarm) that I'll just upgrade to Redhat 5.2 and start with a
> clean slate.

It seems to me you are looking for trouble if you install compiler rpms
that are not from the official redhat distribution.  The official
distribution is finessed to allow both gcc and egcs to coexist. If you
just need the compiler, you could go to the redhat distribution and get
their egcs and gcc for redhat 5.2. To install those, you need a few
subsidiary packages.

Another reminder. If you install a compiler different from the RedHat
standard, then the swarm rpm will not work. We've had quite a few people
learn the hard way that when they change their compiler they have to
recompile Swarm itself.  You can get the src.rpm for that.

--
Paul E. Johnson                         email: address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science              http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn