Re: updating to 1.4

From: surak
Subject: Re: updating to 1.4
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 15:26:35 -0500 (CDT)

> I installed swarm two days ago, and I subscribed to this list today. I'm
> using debian 2.1 and the swarm deb packages. I tried to compile a few of
> the simulation programs from ftp.santafe.edu (eg. Heatbugs and others) but
> they give me the same error message, and in addition a lot of ld error
> messages, like "__objc... not found". I can send them to this list if
> they're important. I'm using gcc, and I have tried egcc too, but it's the
> same. In addition, all the programs I compile segfault and dump the core.
>
> Could anybody help me? Should I send the exact error message to the list?
> Is there anybody else here using swarm on Debian? If so, could they send
> me the output of a dpkg -l, to see if I have the right packages?
>
> Regards,
>
> Tamas

Running Debian 2.1 and have the 1.4.1 swarm packages installed. I get
ld warnings during compilation (they appeared this year, probably due to a new
version of ld) but they don't affect my compiles.  If yours are errors and
not warnings, check to see if you've installed gobjc272 (if you use gcc and
not egcs).

A couple of random ideas:

* What is $SWARMHOME set to? It should be /usr.
* What is $LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to? A few non-swarm related segfaults
happened to me in the past because of some directory that needn't be in
there. Very pathological, I would imagine.
* You do have the -dev packages installed, I'd assume. Still, it may be a
good idea to check how old they are.

Hope that helps,

Alan
address@hidden