Re: and again: installing swarm on SuSE 5.2

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Re: and again: installing swarm on SuSE 5.2
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 09:24:23 -0500

I don't have much specific to say about this problem, except that I have
been where you are and I admire your determination.  The problem is
probably that you've been hacking at your system so much that you can't
get it back to its pristine state in order to start fresh. I recall
having to just erase linux and reinstall in order to get the table set
properly.If you were new to linux when you started banging on it,
chances are you might have created configuration mistakes that none of
us could guess or diagnose.  That's why reinstalling might be
necessary.  If you think about that direction, check with people who
have swarm working on SUSE machines and find out which version of SUSE
they have.  Also, you might consider installing all swarm related
software, such as tcl/tk blt and libffi in a separate directory so it is
easier to get rid of.  Before the most recent swarm incarnation, I was
trying to encourage new users to use a prefix like /swarm/packages or
such where those extra libraries could be installed, rather than
/usr/local/.  I still think that's a good idea.

  There are some things you might try before reinstalling, though.  In
addition to exporting TCL_LIBRARY, you can also export BLT_LIBRARY.
That used to be required for me because I compiled swarm wrongly.

I think for sure you need to use rpm to remove the old BLT that SUSE
provided.  After you do that, look around in /usr/lib to make sure all
such remnants are gone.

I suspect that you may not have gotten blt or tcl/tk installed properly.
Why not step back from the problem and tell us this:
  1. Do the BLT-demo programs work?
  2. When you configured swarm itself, what configure command did you
give and are you absolutely positive it used the tcl/tk and blt
directories you wanted?
  3. Is there a chance that you compiled your BLT against the wrong
tcl/tk library?
If I remember rightly, BLT-2.4 is a standalone, but it might still refer
to tcl/tk when it compiles, and if it finds some tcl/tk stuff in /usr,
it might use it.

I admire your determination and ask you to keep trying.  If you compile
blt or swarm again, please copy the configuration and make output for
future reference.

Oh, yes, don't forget, to reconfigure, you need to use make distclean!

Paul Johnson

Lorenz Gygax wrote:

> Dear Marcus and others,
>
> > $ export TCL_LIBRARY=/usr/local/lib/tcl8.0
> > $ ./heatbugs
>
> still the same: seg fault and the messages in gbd look the same, too.
> Mhm. I am tempted to try SWARM 1.3.1 even though I guess that this is not
> where my problem is.
>
> What else coul I do?
>
> Thank you! Regards, Lorenz

Paul E. Johnson                         email: address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science              http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn
University of Kansas                    Office: (785) 864-9086
Lawrence, Kansas 66045                  FAX: (785) 864-5700