Re: ObjectLoader & batch processing

From: Theodore C. Belding
Subject: Re: ObjectLoader & batch processing
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 22:09:15 -0500

At 1:55 PM -0700 10/29/96, Manor Askenazi wrote:
>Ted's way works. Hopefully he will soon release his framework, and then
>it won't just work, it'll work on many machines at once!!!

Manor has a good point -- you get parallelism at the run level pretty
easily with something like Drone. In fact, that was the reason I first
tried to write a script like this.

For what it's worth, the two approaches aren't incompatible -- I don't see
any inherent reason why Drone couldn't work with Ginger's gecko, for
instance, or any other Swarm program that did multiple runs within a single
process.  I have a GA written in C++ that does multiple runs of a GA using
a fixed set of parameters, all within a single execution of the program.  I
used an early predecessor of Drone this summer and at one point had
processes running on 70 different Sun Sparc20 workstations, each doing 500
runs of the GA.  (Each machine took about 8-12 hours to finish 500 runs.)
-Ted

--
Ted Belding                      <mailto:address@hidden>
University of Michigan Program for the Study of Complex Systems