Re: Python vs. Tcl?

From: Theodore C. Belding
Subject: Re: Python vs. Tcl?
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 21:09:23 -0500

Hi-
If you're referring to my email, Tcl was designed as a control language for
C languages, so it's trivial to embed a Tcl interpreter in your program and
control it using user-defined Tcl procedures that actually call parts of
your program, and use Tcl as a general scripting language for it.  I
haven't looked to see whether this is just as easy in Python; it may well
be.  As you say, you can use Tk from Python; you can also apparently use
Expect from Python, though I haven't looked at the details.

As far as Drone goes, the only reason we needed to use Expect was to script
interactive applications like telnet and ftp, as well as remote commands
executed over a telnet connection.  If we didn't need to do things on a
remote host, we could have used pretty any scripting language (sh, Perl,
Python, Tcl,...).  And in fact if we wanted to use rsh, etc., instead of
telnet and ftp, we wouldn't have needed Expect at all.  I've found rsh,
etc. to be very non-portable, though, and shell programming is just plain
nasty.  Perl also has some features for automating interactive programs
such as ftp, though not as many as Expect, and of course you can use Tk
from Perl.

For anybody who's interested, 2 books just came out on Python, one
published by O'Reilly and another on using Python for Internet scripting,
co-authored by Guido van Rossum, Python's creator.
-Ted

--
Ted Belding                      <mailto:address@hidden>
University of Michigan Program for the Study of Complex Systems