Re: ObjectLoader & batch processing

From: Sven Thommesen
Subject: Re: ObjectLoader & batch processing
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 21:00:27 -0600

At 04:11 PM 10/29/96 -0500, Rick Riolo wrote:

>daring to speak for ted...
>
>I think drone will be released within a week.
>(we've been using it and making changes based on our
>experience....we made some recent changes and after we exercise
>them a bit in the next few days, and get the doc caught up
>to those changes, I think its ready to go.)
>
>Re. Sven's other question about not using run time parameters:
>
>Sven, I'm not sure I understand how you were thinking of doing
>things like sweep over some values for a parameter (or more).
>Were you thinking to have a separate file to load for each case?

Well,

before I read Roger's piece, I was thinking that a few nested
*for* loops in the Batch Swarm would do fine, with a 'cleanup'
step added to the present code for each run.

Until that works, I suppose an external scripting language doing
the same for-loops will do.

As for how to give parameters to Swarm, if you're only altering a
very small set I suppose command-line arguments are ok. In my
(first, very simple) model, there's some 60 input parameters to
play with. I imagined an input record of 60 fields for ObjectLoader
to fetch, with the script language generating a new one for each
invocation.

Not that I'm planning to sweep over all 60 parameters! I firmly believe
that achieving tenure before retirement is a worthy goal ... :-)

My model also has 4 state variables for each of 500 bugs for a full
output snapshot per time period, not counting possible totals or
averagers! Practical suggestions for how to manage the deluge of
data are welcome...

One thing we need to keep in mind is how easy it is to preserve our
input & output for documentation purposes -- perhaps a reviewer of
a paper (or, heaven forbid, an actual reader) would want to replicate
our path-breaking experiment ? Then I suppose a text file full of
parameters is easier to keep than a batchSwarm or script file that's
since been edited for further runs ...

Isn't science wonderful?

--Sven