Re: [Speechd] Speech-dispatcher kde gui

From: Jeremy Whiting
Subject: Re: [Speechd] Speech-dispatcher kde gui
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 17:48:26 -0600

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 5:41 PM Samuel Thibault <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

Jeremy Whiting, le lun. 14 oct. 2019 17:31:03 -0600, a ecrit:
> I need a way to figure out which speech-dispatcher modules are
> installed (for the user to select which to be their default).

You can use "spd-say -O", "spd-say -o espeak-ng -L" etc. or their
equivalent through the ssip protocol exposed by speech-dispatcher.

Yeah, the idea is to modify the user's configuration with the gui. So effectively it would be changing the ~/.config/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf file (and module .conf files if needed later on to tweak the modules themselves).

The reason to modify speech-dispatchers configuration itself is so all applications using QtSpeech library with the speech-dispatcher backend get some default configuration chosen by the user. If I as a user want Okular, Klipper, KDE notifications, etc. which all use QtSpeech to use a particular voice each application doesn't need to keep a separate configuration that it uses.

> An alternate approach that I started years ago and should get back to at some
> point is to convert speech-dispatcher and it's modules and audio system to use
> gsettings instead of .conf files for configuration.

Mmm, the idea looks nice, but using gsettings would leave people without
a desktop out.

Why would people without a desktop be left out? gsettings stores configuration in dconf files (binary files of some kind) and gsettings command-line tool can be used to inspect and modify values. We would also get the ability to reject invalid values for things like pitch, speed, volume, etc. this way.

BR,
Jeremy

Samuel