[Speechd] Speech-dispatcher kde gui

From: Jeremy Whiting
Subject: [Speechd] Speech-dispatcher kde gui
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 17:31:03 -0600

Hello all,

In an effort to make speech-dispatcher a bit more approachable by regular end users I'd like to make a speech kcm (kde configuration module) that will appear in kde's system settings application and will be launchable from other configuration screens like okular's tts settings. So in order to configure speech-dispatcher with a gui I need a way to figure out which speech-dispatcher modules are installed (for the user to select which to be their default). Which sound systems are available, etc. I can use the dotconf library to get the current configuration and possible modules etc. but I'm not seeing any way to use dotconf to actually modify the .conf files. Am I missing something obvious?

An alternate approach that I started years ago and should get back to at some point is to convert speech-dispatcher and it's modules and audio system to use gsettings instead of .conf files for configuration. That way we could use the gsettings manipulation functionality in glib to get and set speech-dispatcher configuration. I'd rather avoid this in the short term, but I think it's a good idea in the long term. It will require some migration code to make sure user's .conf files get migrated to the gsettings, but once done I think it will be easier to make these kind of gui configurations.

thoughts?
Jeremy