Does anyone know when the libasound bugs get finally fixed

From: Halim Sahin
Subject: Does anyone know when the libasound bugs get finally fixed
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 16:24:07 +0200

On So, M?r 30, 2008 at 02:55:19 +0200, Hermann wrote:
> am So 30. M?r 2008 um 14:39:53 schrieb Halim Sahin <halim.sahin at
> t-online.de>:
> > unfortunately alsa isn't very stable regarding softmixing and some
> > sounddrivers.
> >
> > I am using the oss drivers from opensound.com on my laptop.
> > These drivers are working very well with oss and softmixing etc.
>
> Does this mean, that I can use several audio sources at one time,like in
> Alsa? (Speech and playing sound files)

Yes.

> I use a SB 128PCI on my machine; do you know anything about this card?

No.

> > If someone wants to try the drivers don't forget to save your alsa
> > drivers before because the oss stuff deletes them without asking the user
> > during
> > installation!!!!!!!
>
> Can you describe the procedure of getting and installing those drivers and
> the saving of the Alsa drivers as well?

Well
1. save the alsa drivers
cp -a /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/sound .
You.ll have a new folder named sound which is the backup!

2.
get the drivers from www.4front-tech.com There are rpm's and deb
packages available.
4front-tech has released their drivers under gpl a few months ago.

For debian based distributions:
wget http://www.4front-tech.com/release/oss-linux_v4.0-1015_i386.deb

3. install the package by typing
sudo dpkg -i oss-linux_v4.0-1015_i386.deb

Thats it.
I am not responsible for any damages to your system.
So you are trying this at your own risk.
Have fun.
Halim