sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] multiple subkey binding

From: David Shaw
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] multiple subkey binding
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 10:14:07 -0500

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 07:28:58AM -0500, Yaron M. Minsky wrote:
> Nope.  Cleaning fixes various problems, but the multiple subkey problem
> can only be fixed with cryptographic support, which SKS doesn't have.
> (It is possible that a good-enough fix could be achived without
> cryptographic support, but I haven't looked into it in detail.)

The corruption is pretty predictable.  You end up with keys like this:

primary
  uid
subkey A
  subkey sig A
subkey B
  subkey sig B
  subkey sig A

Basically, you need to check if any of the subkeys have identical
binding signatures to any of the other subkeys, and remove the LAST
one.

> Functionally, though, the only problem of including the bogus packets is
> an increase in size and the annoying messages you saw.  So it's not a
> huge win to include that key-fixing.

Yes, especially since it is not guaranteed to guess right. :)

GnuPG 1.2.3 doesn't give that warning any more since it is so common
to have mangled keys from keyservers...

David