Re: [Simulavr-devel] ATMega8 class definition

From: Wojciech Stryjewski
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] ATMega8 class definition
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 13:09:00 -0500

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Petr Hluzín <address@hidden> wrote:

> In distant future there is a plan for a script to process Atmel's XML
> file with processor definitions and generate CPP files for all devices
> automatically.
> When it happens we will not need these aids workarounding human
> weakness. It would also probably make the script more complicated and
> more difficult to verify/understand the generated code.

I had a similar idea for the work I'm doing with VMLAB, and wrote a
script to generate the .ini files that VMLAB needs. Right now it
extracts the interrupt vectors, register addresses, fuse bits, and pin
functions. It then "connects" them to the appropriate peripheral in
the .ini file. I've only run it on the ATmega168.xml file so it will
probably break on others. I've also found at least one XML file with
an error (one of the pin functions was missing), but it may have been
fixed in a newer AVR Studio version.

In case you guys find it useful, I've posted my script at:
http://sites.google.com/site/thvortex/genini.py

I apologize for the total lack of comments, but this was a proof of
concept that never made it any further. You need at least Python 2.5
for the xml.etree package. I don't know if the script is Python 3
"clean" or not. This file also has Windows CRLF line endings.