Re: [Simulavr-devel] Intel hex format support

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Intel hex format support
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 12:07:59 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Jussi Pitkanen wrote:

:) >You have used some magic numbers when allocating record buffers.
:)
:) Now this 'magic number' is defined (with comments) in utils.h.

Yes. Much better. Thanks.

:)
:) >Also, I'm thinking about using the bfd library. This would give
:) >support for many format (most importantly elf) without re-inventing  the
:) >wheel. Bfd supported is currently being added to avarice and once
:) >we get that done, I should have a feel for what needs to be done in
:) >simulavr.
:)
:) Sounds good. I think it's the right way. Anyway, patch with the fixes is
:) attached.
:)
:) >In the mean time, I'll commit your patch after I test it.

Ok, I have looked more deeply into your patch and there's still a few
things that bother me.

I think it is better to have a single function which reads and parses
the hex file. You have duplicated the ihex parser in flash and eeprom.

In both of your parsers, you are not examining the rectype field. This
will cause a serious problem when the user tries to load a rom image
larger than 64K.

Ted Roth