Re: [RP] bugs, features, etc

From: sabetts
Subject: Re: [RP] bugs, features, etc
Date: Sat Oct 19 18:19:02 2002

Hi Evan,

> if you split the screen twice vertically, you get 3 windows proportioned
> .5 .25 .25.  All is well.  If you delete the middle of the three, you get
> two windows proportioned .75 .25.  This is probably not the desired
> behavior in the majority of cases.  I think it should return to .5 .5
> proportions.

Yes. This is a bit buggy. I've noticed it but I never really worried about
it :). Its probably an easy fix that just involves resizing frames in a
different order...

> I actually have a kindof strange setup, as I have a Toshiba Libretto
> laptop with a screen resolution of 1280x600.  I like to run my xterms at
> half the screen width, because that's plenty and I like two of them, but
> for most web pages, full screen works better.  So, I'd like a way to
> automatically have only one frame when displaying Mozilla, but two for my
> xterms.

You could probably do this with the save/restore frame configuration patch
that's sitting somewhere around here. I intend to look at it..soon(tm).

> I also have some misbehaving programs (cgoban is the only one I really
> care about) that resize  things based on the horizontal window size.  So,
> when cgoban gets maximized, the square board takes up too much vertical
> space, and other things don't get reasonable amounts of screen space.  I
> know this isn't your fault, and I'll bother them about it too, but a
> simple workaround of being able to easily resize frames would be great.

There is a frame resize patch floating around that I also intend to look at.
This will also happen soon(tm).

> Also, a graphical task switcher would be cool.        Something like the
window
> list it already has, but using a tab key or arrows or something to choose
> the window to bring up, instead of having to remember numbers.
Kinda like
> alt-tab in other window managers.

I think Jonathan's ratmenu and scripts is what you're looking for. Check the
mail archives.

> Anyway, thanks for a really great program.  Off to continue playing with
> it...

I'm glad you like it!

Shawn