Re: [RP] bugs, features, etc

From: Simon White
Subject: Re: [RP] bugs, features, etc
Date: Sat Oct 19 06:06:05 2002

18-Oct-02 at 21:34, Evan Berggren Daniel (address@hidden) wrote :
> I actually have a kindof strange setup, as I have a Toshiba Libretto
> laptop with a screen resolution of 1280x600.  I like to run my xterms at
> half the screen width, because that's plenty and I like two of them, but
> for most web pages, full screen works better.  So, I'd like a way to
> automatically have only one frame when displaying Mozilla, but two for my
> xterms.

You could create a .ratpoisonrc which auto-launches 2 xterms with half
your screen width, and Mozilla in fullscreen. See man ratpoison and note
that all pretty much all commands can be called from the .ratpoisonrc.

Anything more isn't very minimalist, and will break those people like me
who first started using ratpoison on poor old machines, many of which
can only do 640x480 or 800x600...

> I also have some misbehaving programs (cgoban is the only one I really
> care about) that resize  things based on the horizontal window size.  So,
> when cgoban gets maximized, the square board takes up too much vertical
> space, and other things don't get reasonable amounts of screen space.  I
> know this isn't your fault, and I'll bother them about it too, but a
> simple workaround of being able to easily resize frames would be great.

Resizing frames is kinda outside the scope of a window manager that
launches everything full screen, but you can define the geometry of
windows *I think* if you're clever, I defer to those who better know X
internals.

> Also, a graphical task switcher would be cool.  Something like the window
> list it already has, but using a tab key or arrows or something to choose
> the window to bring up, instead of having to remember numbers.  Kinda like
> alt-tab in other window managers.

I've seen something called ratmenu mentioned, I've asked for a URL for
it, I haven't seen anything yet, but then I haven't checked the archives
yet.

--
[Simon White. vim/mutt. address@hidden GIMPS:34.99% see www.mersenne.org]
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from