[RP] Re: BadWindow

From: Sven Hartrumpf
Subject: [RP] Re: BadWindow
Date: Fri Oct 18 00:07:02 2002

Hi all.
Some months ago I posted the following problem:

On 18 Feb 2002, Sven Hartrumpf <address@hidden> wrote:
> I wrote earlier:
> > I sometimes get an inifinite loop with "Bad Window" messages
> > from 1.0.1cvs which makes the window manager process unusable.
> > How can I avoid this?
> > Or how can I track this error down (any specific compile or
> > runtime option for this?)?
> I used the configure option --enable-debug to get some more info:
> ratpoison:debug -- manage.c:maximize_normal():538: frame width=640 height=512
> ratpoison:debug -- manage.c:maximize_normal():564: maxsize: 634 502
> ratpoison:debug -- manage.c:maximize():588: Resizing window 'address@hidden'
> to x:640 y:512 w:634 h:502
> ratpoison:debug -- events.c:receive_command():587: command requests: 4
> ratpoison: ERROR: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)!
> ratpoison:debug -- events.c:execute_remote_command():533: Couldn't get
> RP_COMMAND Property
> ratpoison:debug -- events.c:receive_command():587: command requests: 4
> ratpoison: ERROR: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)!
> ratpoison: ERROR: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)!
> ratpoison:debug -- events.c:execute_remote_command():533: Couldn't get
> RP_COMMAND Property
>
> The last 4 lines repeat for ever and fill up the partition.

This problem occurs only if
- I use xbindkeys for "ratpoison -c ..." shortcuts, e.g.
"ratpoison -c focusleft"
  KP_Left
"ratpoison -c focusright"
  KP_Right
"ratpoison -c focusdown"
  KP_Down
"ratpoison -c focusup"
  KP_Up
"ratpoison -c prev"
  KP_Page_Up
"ratpoison -c next"
  KP_Page_Down

- and the computer is heavily loaded

I do not know ratpoison very well, but I guess the problem is caused by
a situation where several "ratpoison -c ..." commands are running in
parallel and get confused about which ratpoison process to contact for
command execution (or similar).

I found a solution some days ago, and now that some people talk about
xbindkeys again I want to share it :-)

  use a xbindkeys version configured with --enable-pthread=no

This forces sequential execution of commands triggered by xbindkeys.
(Of course, if you use xbindkeys for other applications too, you might
loose some convenience.)

Ciao
Sven