quilt-dev

Re: [Quilt-dev] status query for patch description feature

From: Joe Green
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] status query for patch description feature
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 13:33:18 -0700

Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
I strongly dislike keeping the header in a separate file. This can only cause trouble.

I saw this as just following the model of not modifying a patch until a refresh is done, and that meant I needed to have a place to put it. Especially for new patches, I didn't want to create the patch just to hold the header, and I did want people to be able to create a header right away after "quilt new" because many will forget if they leave it until later.

The header templates and comments are a nice idea. One possible extension would be to always add the comments when editing, and to remove them when saving. This would require a structured header format that is less general, though.

The one comment that is currently added dynamically whenever a header is edited is an initial line that states which patch the description is for. The templates are only used if there is no header.

Thinking about Yashi's comments, maybe something like a separate "default_header" that is always applied to new patches, and some kind of "comments" file that is always appended or prepended when editing would be more useful to some people.

This is all pretty policy dependent. I've mentioned before that I'm not keen on dragging too much policy into quilt, so I'll definitely not blindly add this command. This could easily discuss users who would otherwise find quilt pretty useful.

I must say, I had this patch marked out as one of the local changes that nobody else would likely want :). I only posted it because Yashi brought the issue up and I thought he and other might find it useful; I wasn't really expecting it to go into the standard distribution.

There isn't much policy in the patch I posted. The default template could even be empty. I expect users would modify the default (that's what I do locally) or override it using patches/default_header.

--
Joe Green <address@hidden>
MontaVista Software, Inc.