quilt-dev

Re: [Quilt-dev] status query for patch description feature

From: Yasushi SHOJI
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] status query for patch description feature
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 14:49:30 +0900

At Tue, 29 Jun 2004 19:15:20 -0700,
Joe Green wrote:

> Yasushi SHOJI wrote:
> > could you briefly explain how you implemented "quilt header", if
> > possible? or send me the patch?
>
> Patch is attached.

thanks.  It seems like you have already implemented all feature I
want. :)

> Basically, "quilt header" prints the existing header, if any.
> "quilt header -e" creates a header if none exists, or edits an existing one.
>
> When creating a new header it fetches a template from
> $QUILT_PATCHES/default_header if it exists, else
> /usr/lib/quilt/default_header.  Comment lines can be added to templates
> (lines starting with "// ") which will be deleted when the header is saved.

could "generation of header" and "editing header" be split? or perhaps
merge "generation of header" to "quilt ref"?

if we could implement "-m" as in TODO and combine "generation of
header" feature, we could:

$ quilt new ....
$ quilt add ....
edit edit edit edit
$ quilt ref -m "my perfect patch to fix all bug"

# maybe it's time to write quilt-mode for emacs....

> > At least for me, once I fix the format, I'd be using same header
> > format again and again for a project.  I don't want to "quilt header"
> > every single time we "quilt ref" for new patch.
>
> For me, the main purpose of "quilt header -e" is to enter a description
> of each patch, so my intention is that it would be executed for each
> patch.  I don't know if this matches your needs.

that works.  but perhaps emacs user don't want to lanch another emacs
just for this.

what do you think?
--
         yashi