quilt-dev

Re: [Quilt-dev] status query for patch description feature

From: Joe Green
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] status query for patch description feature
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 13:17:39 -0700

Yasushi SHOJI wrote:
could "generation of header" and "editing header" be split? or perhaps
merge "generation of header" to "quilt ref"?

It certainly could, but I didn't want to do anything to a patch header without an explicit user action, so the implemention is not supposed to modify anything until a "header -e" operation is done, and then the template isn't offered unless there is no existing header. My goal wasn't to force all patches to have a common header, just to provide a suggested format for new descriptions.

New patches would be an obvious case where a default header could automatically be applied without overwriting anything.

if we could implement "-m" as in TODO and combine "generation of
header" feature, we could:

$ quilt new ....
$ quilt add ....
edit edit edit edit
$ quilt ref -m "my perfect patch to fix all bug"

That wouldn't be too useful for me, as my descriptions are usually more than one line, but I have no objection to it.

but perhaps emacs user don't want to lanch another emacs
just for this.

I followed the same basic structure as for "quilt edit", figuring that was some kind of precedent :).

It would certainly be reasonable to be able to specify a file or stdin as input for the header data, instead of invoking an editor directly. That should be easy to hook up to emacs, though you'd have to program emacs to get the template itself if you want to use templates.

--
Joe Green <address@hidden>
MontaVista Software, Inc.