Re: [Qemu-ppc] qemu-system-ppc64 -M ppce500 always booting to qemu monit

From: Do Vincenzo
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] qemu-system-ppc64 -M ppce500 always booting to qemu monitor console plus no output on serial console
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 16:07:49 +0000

On 16.12.15  16:42, Alexander Graf wrote:
>On 12/16/2015 03:26 PM, Do Vincenzo wrote:
>> On 16.12.15  14:38, Alexander Graf wrote:
>>> Please don't top post on this mailing list :). Just write your replies
>>> below the previous ones at the place the original question was.
>> Ok got it, I'm just not that used to sending e-mails on these lists.
>>
>>> Yes, the option is correct. So that's not the problem. One thing you
>>> could try is to pass the uImage into -kernel rather than the kernel.
>> So I've already tried to use the uImage but still no output.
>>
>>> If that doesn't help, we need to dive into some debugging :). Boot the
>>> VM with the -s -S parameters. Then on a different shell do
>>> $ gdb vmlinux -ex 'target remote localhost:1234'
>>> In the following gdb shell, type
>>> (gdb) c
>>> after a bit, Ctrl-C and checl where you are
>>> (gdb) bt
>>> Also try to print the log buffer:
>>> (gdb) x /200c __log_buf
>>> That should give some hints on what's going wrong.
>>> Alex
>> Here's the log buffer after the steps you described:
>> http://paste.ubuntu.com/14050259/
>
> This shows all zeros, so we didn't get far. Which made me realize
> another thing missing from your command line: the CPU type.
>
> Please add -cpu e5500 to the QEMU parameters. If that doesn't help, run
> without KVM and add -D log -d in_asm,cpu,int and look at the "log" file.
> Up to which point does booting get?
>
>Alex

I've added the cpu parameter as you said, still no output.
The logfile created with the -D option keeps getting bigger, I've stopped it
after ~30s, you can find here the first 3000 lines.

log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/14051480/

I couldn't understand most of these lines but I see lots of zeros which doesn't
seem to be a good thing.
Let me know if you need more details.

Regards,
Vincenzo Do