Re: [Qemu-ppc] qemu-system-ppc64 -M ppce500 always booting to qemu monit

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] qemu-system-ppc64 -M ppce500 always booting to qemu monitor console plus no output on serial console
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 17:14:28 +0100

On 12/16/2015 05:07 PM, Do Vincenzo wrote:
On 16.12.15  16:42, Alexander Graf wrote:
On 12/16/2015 03:26 PM, Do Vincenzo wrote:
On 16.12.15  14:38, Alexander Graf wrote:
Please don't top post on this mailing list :). Just write your replies
below the previous ones at the place the original question was.
Ok got it, I'm just not that used to sending e-mails on these lists.

Yes, the option is correct. So that's not the problem. One thing you
could try is to pass the uImage into -kernel rather than the kernel.
So I've already tried to use the uImage but still no output.

If that doesn't help, we need to dive into some debugging :). Boot the
VM with the -s -S parameters. Then on a different shell do
$ gdb vmlinux -ex 'target remote localhost:1234'
In the following gdb shell, type
(gdb) c
after a bit, Ctrl-C and checl where you are
(gdb) bt
Also try to print the log buffer:
(gdb) x /200c __log_buf
That should give some hints on what's going wrong.
Alex
Here's the log buffer after the steps you described:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/14050259/
This shows all zeros, so we didn't get far. Which made me realize
another thing missing from your command line: the CPU type.

Please add -cpu e5500 to the QEMU parameters. If that doesn't help, run
without KVM and add -D log -d in_asm,cpu,int and look at the "log" file.
Up to which point does booting get?

Alex
I've added the cpu parameter as you said, still no output.
The logfile created with the -D option keeps getting bigger, I've stopped it
after ~30s, you can find here the first 3000 lines.

log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/14051480/

I couldn't understand most of these lines but I see lots of zeros which doesn't
seem to be a good thing.
Let me know if you need more details.

It's doing a lot of things - all the way to the end of the paste above. Check for the last IN: occurence and check with gdb

  (gdb) l *0x1234
  (gdb) x /i 0x1234

on the address you see in the IN: block where you're getting stuck. Also, try the backtrace again with the cpu parameter passed in.

Alex