qemu-devel

Re: Call for GSoC and Outreachy project ideas for summer 2023

From: Stefano Garzarella
Subject: Re: Call for GSoC and Outreachy project ideas for summer 2023
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 17:56:50 +0100

On Fri, Feb 17, 2023 at 11:53:03AM -0500, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
On Fri, 17 Feb 2023 at 11:23, Stefano Garzarella <sgarzare@redhat.com> wrote:

Hi Stefan,

On Fri, Jan 27, 2023 at 10:17:40AM -0500, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
>Dear QEMU, KVM, and rust-vmm communities,
>QEMU will apply for Google Summer of Code 2023
>(https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/) and has been accepted into
>Outreachy May 2023 (https://www.outreachy.org/). You can now
>submit internship project ideas for QEMU, KVM, and rust-vmm!
>
>Please reply to this email by February 6th with your project ideas.

sorry for being late, if there is still time I would like to propose the
following project.

Please, let me know if I should add it to the wiki page.

Hi Stefano,
I have added it to the wiki page:
https://wiki.qemu.org/Internships/ProjectIdeas/VsockSiblingCommunication

Great, thanks!

I noticed that the project idea describes in words but never gives
concrete details about what sibling VM communication is and how it
should work. For someone who has never heard of AF_VSOCK or know how
addressing works, I think it would help to have more detail: does the
vhost-user-vsock program need new command-line arguments that define
sibling VMs, does a { .svm_cid = 2, .svm_port = 1234 } address usually
talk to a guest but the TO_HOST flag changes the meaning and you wish
to exploit that, etc? I'm not suggesting making the description much
longer, but instead tweaking it with more concrete details/keywords so
someone can research the idea and understand what the tasks will be.

You are right, I will add more details/keywords to make it clearer.

Thanks,
Stefano