qemu-devel

Re: Call for GSoC and Outreachy project ideas for summer 2023

From: Alberto Faria
Subject: Re: Call for GSoC and Outreachy project ideas for summer 2023
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2023 19:50:58 +0000

On Fri, Jan 27, 2023 at 3:17 PM Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear QEMU, KVM, and rust-vmm communities,
> QEMU will apply for Google Summer of Code 2023
> (https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/) and has been accepted into
> Outreachy May 2023 (https://www.outreachy.org/). You can now
> submit internship project ideas for QEMU, KVM, and rust-vmm!
>
> Please reply to this email by February 6th with your project ideas.
>
> If you have experience contributing to QEMU, KVM, or rust-vmm you can
> be a mentor. Mentors support interns as they work on their project. It's a
> great way to give back and you get to work with people who are just
> starting out in open source.
>
> Good project ideas are suitable for remote work by a competent
> programmer who is not yet familiar with the codebase. In
> addition, they are:
> - Well-defined - the scope is clear
> - Self-contained - there are few dependencies
> - Uncontroversial - they are acceptable to the community
> - Incremental - they produce deliverables along the way
>
> Feel free to post ideas even if you are unable to mentor the project.
> It doesn't hurt to share the idea!
>
> I will review project ideas and keep you up-to-date on QEMU's
> acceptance into GSoC.
>
> Internship program details:
> - Paid, remote work open source internships
> - GSoC projects are 175 or 350 hours, Outreachy projects are 30
> hrs/week for 12 weeks
> - Mentored by volunteers from QEMU, KVM, and rust-vmm
> - Mentors typically spend at least 5 hours per week during the coding period
>
> For more background on QEMU internships, check out this video:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNVCX7YMUL8
>
> Please let me know if you have any questions!
>
> Stefan

FWIW there is some work to be done on libblkio [1] that QEMU could
benefit from. Maybe these would be appropriate as QEMU projects?

One possible project would be to add zoned device support to libblkio
and all its drivers [2]. This would allow QEMU to use zoned
vhost-user-blk devices, for instance (once general zoned device
support lands [3]).

Another idea would be to add an NVMe driver to libblkio that
internally relies on xNVMe [4, 5]. This would enable QEMU users to use
the NVMe drivers from SPDK or libvfn.

Thanks,
Alberto

[1] https://libblkio.gitlab.io/libblkio/