qemu-devel

Re: Call for GSoC and Outreachy project ideas for summer 2023

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: Call for GSoC and Outreachy project ideas for summer 2023
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2023 16:21:44 -0500

On Mon, 6 Feb 2023 at 14:51, Alberto Faria <afaria@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 27, 2023 at 3:17 PM Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear QEMU, KVM, and rust-vmm communities,
> > QEMU will apply for Google Summer of Code 2023
> > (https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/) and has been accepted into
> > Outreachy May 2023 (https://www.outreachy.org/). You can now
> > submit internship project ideas for QEMU, KVM, and rust-vmm!
> >
> > Please reply to this email by February 6th with your project ideas.
> >
> > If you have experience contributing to QEMU, KVM, or rust-vmm you can
> > be a mentor. Mentors support interns as they work on their project. It's a
> > great way to give back and you get to work with people who are just
> > starting out in open source.
> >
> > Good project ideas are suitable for remote work by a competent
> > programmer who is not yet familiar with the codebase. In
> > addition, they are:
> > - Well-defined - the scope is clear
> > - Self-contained - there are few dependencies
> > - Uncontroversial - they are acceptable to the community
> > - Incremental - they produce deliverables along the way
> >
> > Feel free to post ideas even if you are unable to mentor the project.
> > It doesn't hurt to share the idea!
> >
> > I will review project ideas and keep you up-to-date on QEMU's
> > acceptance into GSoC.
> >
> > Internship program details:
> > - Paid, remote work open source internships
> > - GSoC projects are 175 or 350 hours, Outreachy projects are 30
> > hrs/week for 12 weeks
> > - Mentored by volunteers from QEMU, KVM, and rust-vmm
> > - Mentors typically spend at least 5 hours per week during the coding period
> >
> > For more background on QEMU internships, check out this video:
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNVCX7YMUL8
> >
> > Please let me know if you have any questions!
> >
> > Stefan
>
> FWIW there is some work to be done on libblkio [1] that QEMU could
> benefit from. Maybe these would be appropriate as QEMU projects?
>
> One possible project would be to add zoned device support to libblkio
> and all its drivers [2]. This would allow QEMU to use zoned
> vhost-user-blk devices, for instance (once general zoned device
> support lands [3]).
>
> Another idea would be to add an NVMe driver to libblkio that
> internally relies on xNVMe [4, 5]. This would enable QEMU users to use
> the NVMe drivers from SPDK or libvfn.

Great that you're interesting, Alberto! Both sound feasible. I would
like to co-mentor the zoned storage project or can at least commit to
being available to help because zoned storage is currently on my mind
anyway :).

Do you want to write up one or both of them using the project template
below? You can use the other project ideas as a reference for how much
detail to include: https://wiki.qemu.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2023

=== TITLE ===

 '''Summary:''' Short description of the project

 Detailed description of the project.

 '''Links:'''
 * Wiki links to relevant material
 * External links to mailing lists or web sites

 '''Details:'''
 * Skill level: beginner or intermediate or advanced
 * Language: C
 * Mentor: Email address and IRC nick
 * Suggested by: Person who suggested the idea

Thanks,
Stefan