qemu-devel

Re: Migrating custom qemu.org infrastructure to GitLab

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: Migrating custom qemu.org infrastructure to GitLab
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2020 09:48:28 +0100

On Mon, 13 Jul 2020 at 09:39, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <philmd@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 7/10/20 4:04 PM, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
>
> > 7/ License Compliance
> >
> > https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/compliance/license_compliance/
>
> WRT IRC feedback QEMU licensing is a lost cause, I can not tell,
> but I think if GitLab has scripts to take care of it, it is an
> improvement over what we have now:

The docs say it only supports C programs that use the Conan
package manager. We don't, we just use configure to find and
link against our external dependencies.

>   b) New contributions will be checked for correct license by
>      a machine, so reviewer can focus on other topics.

The documentation doesn't say anything about it handling license
checking on contributions to the project itself. It looks like
it's mainly intended for "I have a javascript project that
pulls in 5000 tiny dependencies from npm, I want to know that
none of them is accidentally using a license that's not compatible
with the project's license". That's not a problem QEMU has.

thanks
-- PMM