qemu-devel

Re: Migrating custom qemu.org infrastructure to GitLab

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: Migrating custom qemu.org infrastructure to GitLab
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2020 14:08:11 +0200

On 09/07/2020 12.33, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> On 09/07/20 12:22, Thomas Huth wrote:
>> FWIW, seems like we could use the "pandoc" tool to convert Mediawiki
>> (our old Wiki) to Markdown (Gitlab wiki). I've done a quick test and
>> converted https://wiki.qemu.org/Contribute/MailingLists into
>> few clicks.
>>
>> But the longer I look at most Wiki pages, the more I think that we
>> should convert the important pages rather into a part of qemu-web
>> instead. I'll have a closer look and will suggest some patches when time
>> permits...
>
> The wiki was cleaned up more or less at the same time as the
> qemu-web.git repo was created (actually as a prerequisite), it's
> actually not in a bad shape.

Agreed, there were definitely worse times in the past.

> We can certainly move some wiki pages to qemu-web, like we did for
> "report a bug" in the past and like Alex did recently for the
> Conservancy page.  But I think there aren't that many left, most of them
> are in the first category above and should be moved to docs/devel (for
> example https://wiki.qemu.org/Contribute/SubmitAPatch).

I was looking at pages like
https://wiki.qemu.org/Contribute/MailingLists and
https://wiki.qemu.org/License ... but yes, the first one should be
likely moved to docs/devel, too, and the second one is maybe redundant
anyway, since we have this information in the LICENSE file already (so
we could also link to
https://git.qemu.org/?p=qemu.git;a=blob_plain;f=LICENSE instead).

 Thomas