qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Patch Submission] QEMU with GCC/Win32

From: Steve D. Perkins
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Patch Submission] QEMU with GCC/Win32
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 19:16:09 -0400

Paul Brook wrote:

"sledgehammer" and "nut" spring to mind :-)

The attached patch is sufficient to get qemu working on win32 when compiled
with gcc3.4. I've successfully booted a knoppix CD inside qemu on a windows
host with this patch.

The problem was that gcc is choosing inconvenient names for static local
variables.  These symbols are never supposed to be seen outside the compiler,
so it's allowed to change these at random. The solution is to use explicitly
specify the asm name for the variable.

Paul
Haha... thanks alot Paul! I now have a big bruise from slapping my palm against my forehead... seeing how much more simplified the changes could be after I went through all that hassle editing "dyngen.c"!

Given that QEMU can support the current release of GCC on Windows by changing less than 40 lines of code in one file, can we please begin discussing the inclusion of these changes in the main codebase? Explicitly specifying this one variable name in a preprocessor directive doesn't look as if it would affect builds on other platforms, but it would be easy enough to test either way.

Steve