qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Patch Submission] QEMU with GCC/Win32

From: Steve D. Perkins
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Patch Submission] QEMU with GCC/Win32
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 19:04:31 -0400

Christian MICHON wrote:

First rule of (efficient) engineering: <<if it is not broken,
do not try to fix it>>

for the record: gcc-3.3-x is *fine* and *most* stable,
not just on windows. It's still my reference compiler
even for linux kernels.

Why do you feel it's necessary to upgrade? Because
gcc people do?
Don't get me wrong, Christian. I don't advocate using the bleeding-edge latest snapshot from CVS as your full-time reference compiler. At the same time, you can't lag behind indefinitely without risking irrelevance. The 3.4.x generation of GCC is several months old now (much older if you consider release candidates). If it's not yet time to target 3.4.x as an officially supported compiler, it is AT LEAST time to start discussions on a timetable/strategy for doing so. I was unaware that QEMU works properly when built with GCC 3.3.x... is that a true statement, or am I reading too deeply into your email? If it is true that QEMU builds on Win32 with GCC 3.3 but not 3.4, then the "qemu-doc.html" file at the very least should be updated before the next release. That doc simply says "Install the current versions of MSYS and MinGW"... which has meant GCC 3.4.x for some time now.

Now that for the first time on win XP hosts we get
decent speed, unless patches are really a must, I do
not intend personnally to upgrade at every snapshot
my current version of qemu.
I feel the same way. I don't plan to upgrade the "production" QEMU environment I run my virtual machines in every time there's an incremental upgrade. However, I do plan to build every release for testing until the issues we're discussing are resolved, and I'm sure I will periodically upgrade my main QEMU environment.

I don't think that chasing the bleeding-edge is a practical approach. I also don't think that expecting the world to stick with GCC 3.3 and QEMU 0.6.0 forever is feasible either. I'm advocating what I believe is reasonable middle ground. This type of discussion is EXACTLY why most seasoned open-source projects eventually evolve into "stable" and "unstable" branches... so the project can simultaneously meet your goal of providing a reliable current release, while providing a framework to meet my goal of adapting new things into the project incrementally. Again, I'm just trying to start a discussion.

In short: there is a team out there. Or this mailing list
would be dead.

No offense intended, that was a poor choice of phrasing on my part. What I was trying to figure out was whether multiple people are writing code for the project, either through direct source-control access or sending patches to Fabrice, or if the team's role is more supporting Fabrice's coding efforts through QA testing and advice/feedback. Most open-source projects I've been involved with are so STARVED for volunteers willing-and-able to actually write code, I was surprised last week when I offered to write a patch and the response was dead silence. I'm just trying to get a feel for how the project operates, I hope that my enthusiasm doesn't come across the wrong way.

Steve