pspp-users

Re: Problem to search

From: Andy King
Subject: Re: Problem to search
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 16:29:58 +0000

Unsubscribe
________________________________
From: Pspp-users <pspp-users-bounces+andy_uk1=hotmail.co.uk@gnu.org> on behalf
of Alan Mead <amead2@alanmead.org>
Sent: 24 August 2020 16:53
To: John Darrington <john@darrington.wattle.id.au>; Domingo J Rubira L??pez
<domingojrubira@gmail.com>
Cc: pspp-users <pspp-users@gnu.org>; Harry Thijssen <pspp4windows@gmail.com>

On 8/23/2020 11:46 PM, John Darrington wrote:
> I suspect the problem is that you have no value which is exactly equal to 82
> in your dataset.   Perhaps you have 82.0000000000001 or 81.999999999999998,
> either of which might display as "82" dependening on the number of decimals
> defined fro the variable.
>
> If you upgrade to pspp version 1.4.0 you might find it easier, since the
> find algorithm has been changed for numeric values, such that it considers
> only the number of decimals for which the variable has been defined.
>
> J'

John,

Using version 1.3.0 (GNU pspp 1.3.0-g937088), I can replicate this
behavior on Windows PSPPIRE using string variables. I created a new
string variable, country, and typed in some values. Then searched for
the string value. Nothing happened. I assume it's supposed to highlight
that row or give it focus or something. If so, it seems to be broken.

@Domingo: Harry Thijssen produces the Windows compiled packages and
installations. We'll have to wait for a version 1.4.0 from him (or
compile it yourself).

-Alan

--

Alan D. Mead, Ph.D.
President, Talent Algorithms Inc.

science + technology = better workers

http://www.alanmead.org

The irony of this ... is that the Internet is
both almost-infinitely expandable, while at the
same time constrained within its own pre-defined
box. And if that makes no sense to you, just
reflect on the existence of Facebook. We have
the vastness of the internet and yet billions
of people decided to spend most of them time
within a horribly designed, fake-news emporium
of a website that sucks every possible piece of
personal information out of you so it can sell it
to others. And they see nothing wrong with that.

-- Kieren McCarthy, commenting on why we are not
                    all using IPv6