pspp-users

Re: Problem to search

From: Alan Mead
Subject: Re: Problem to search
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 11:02:55 -0500

Domingo,

I don't think the devs (other than Harry) use Windows, so if we find a
bug in the Windows version of PSPP, it's important for us to file a bug
report. I could file a bug report for you, but then if it gets fixed I'd
need to be able to test it and the bug you found with non-ASCII
characters in the filepath is not something I can easily test.

Here is information to file a bug:
https://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/manual/html_node/Bugs.html

I count three bugs you've found that should be filed:

1. Apparently, PSPP on Windows cannot handle non-ASCII characters. It
reports that the file doesn't exist.

2. The data import wizard is not checking error codes or otherwise
manages to move past a "file not found" error to the next step, which
cannot possibly work.

3. Searching for a value in a dataset doesn't seem to work. This bug is
lower priority because John has already improved this code, so he's
going to be more interested on bug reports on 1.4.0. But I think it
affects strings, so there's definitely a chance that it's still a bug in
1.4.0; I think it's worth filing a bug.

-Alan

--

Alan D. Mead, Ph.D.
President, Talent Algorithms Inc.

science + technology = better workers

http://www.alanmead.org

The irony of this ... is that the Internet is
both almost-infinitely expandable, while at the
same time constrained within its own pre-defined
box. And if that makes no sense to you, just
reflect on the existence of Facebook. We have
the vastness of the internet and yet billions
of people decided to spend most of them time
within a horribly designed, fake-news emporium
of a website that sucks every possible piece of
personal information out of you so it can sell it
to others. And they see nothing wrong with that.

-- Kieren McCarthy, commenting on why we are not
                    all using IPv6