Re: [Protux-devel] 20,24,32 and 64 bit support

From: Martin Herren
Subject: Re: [Protux-devel] 20,24,32 and 64 bit support
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 17:19:47 +0200

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 20:04:53 -0300
Luciano Giordana <address@hidden> wrote:

> Somebody told me that MADM (MustuxAudioDeviceMapper) is the "Threaded Jack".
> Of course it is
> exagerated, since MADM cannot connect several applications like Jack does.
> But in some
> sense, we have already a very good wrapper for ALSA. Writing a ALSA based
> audio application
> through MADM is becoming easier and easier.
> Also, I always preferred the threaded approach for audio transfer, rather
> than the callback approach
> that Jack uses. If we put MADM to its limits, maybe we will see many
> applications using it in the future.
> MADM slogan could be  "let mustux do the dirty ALSA work..." :-)

yeah !

one important point where i think MADM should be improved is 'audio card
detection' (and the detection of their capabilities), especially for
multichannel cards...
as far as i understood it until now, we probably will have to go through the
.alsarc file...

--
Martin Herren

Protux - A Free Professional Audio Tool for GNU/Linux:
-> http://www.nongnu.org/protux/
Satellite - BAR CONCERTS CAFES-THEATRES
-> http://sat.epfl.ch