Re: [Protux-devel] Autostuff migration : Done :-)

From: Martin Herren
Subject: Re: [Protux-devel] Autostuff migration : Done :-)
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 19:58:46 +0100

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 22:26:35 +0100
address@hidden (booker) wrote:

> I hope you know what's going on here! ;-)

nope... almost no clue.

the strange thing is:
1) ./configure works fine and even finds moc
2) make is not happy (why ? that's the big question !) and runs automake again,
which is not happy and displays:

-------------
  /bin/sh /home/booker/cvs/mustux/mustuxlib/missing --run automake --gnu
Makefile
configure.ac: 6: required file `./[config.h].in' not found
Makefile.am:25: invalid unused variable name: `nodist_libmustux_la_SOURCES'
-------------

(the nodist_..._la_SOURCES variable is required to correctly handle Qt's moc
files)
and then make says it couldn't find automake !

-------------
WARNING: `automake' is missing on your system.  You should only need it if
         you modified `Makefile.am', `acinclude.m4' or `configure.ac'.
         You might want to install the `Automake' and `Perl' packages.
         Grab them from any GNU archive site.
-------------

ok, i can understand it, as 'automake' exited with an error, 'make' though it
couldn't execute 'automake'.

3) then make runs autoconf again, which is happy, and runs ./configure, which
won't find moc ???

The only thing i could think of, is that your automake is too old...(1.4-p6)...
that explains several errors, but not why make tries to relaunch automake after
a fresh checkout !!!
The reason ./configure can't find moc the second time, is perhaps because your
autoconf is too old, so the new configure is not correct...

The only thing i can suggest for the moment is that we agree on common
autoconf/automake versions. I've seen other projects, where they expect
specific versions of these tools in order to compile from cvs. So it seems we
are not the only ones dealing with such problems.

I use
 - autoconf/autoheader 2.57
 - automake/aclocal 1.5
 - libtoolize 1.4.2a

Luciano seems to use
 - autoconf/autoheader 2.56
 - automake/aclocal 1.6

The best solution is probably to use 2.57 and 1.6 (or newer... haven't checked
which is the last version), and stick to it untill there is a reason to decide
to upgrade.
On the other hand we could all use Luciano's versions, so he won't have to
download the new versions... but we must know that Luciano's versions works...
but it seems so according to his lasts cvs commits ;-)

So what do you think of it ?

The new autotool code was meant to solve the 'make -f admin/Makefile.common'
step, and to correctly check for alsa/mustux... but it seems as it introduced
more new problems !

--
Martin Herren

Protux - A Free Professional Audio Tool for GNU/Linux:
-> http://www.nongnu.org/protux/
Open your Windows - Free your Mind - Enjoy:
->http://gnuwin.epfl.ch