Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] integration of admin-addressbook-calendar-

From: Michael Dean
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] integration of admin-addressbook-calendar-HR
Date: 18 Jun 2003 20:55:46 -0500

On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 12:01, Brian Johnson wrote:
> It looks like dcl_account_contact links the dcl_account and dcl_contact
> tables.
> Does that mean that dcl_account is for company names and not system accounts?

Yes - everyone seems confused by the naming (this is more DCL
terminology).  I'll probably change it to dcl_company_* instead.

> My concern is that we may overlook methods of communication that may not even
> currently be available, after all I didn't have an email address 10 years ago
> and
> didn't even have a IM account until a year ago.  Therefore it is difficult to
> categorize those methods and it would be best if the db structure didn't
> require
> modification for those occasions.
>
> Perhaps additional though is needed to even cover the methods currently
> available.
> Here is what I see in your schema:
> dcl_account_addr ()
> dcl_account_email
> dcl_account_note
> dcl_account_phone
> dcl_account_url
>
> Could we add a dcl_account_other (and type table) for anything that we may
> have
> missed (for instance instant messaging accounts).  This would also provide
> instant
> expandability for future, unforseen needs

I'm cool with that.

> As a general note, I wondered about adding a description field (maybe
> varchar20) for
> each of the above for a quick reminder note as a user's aid.  ie my brother
> has an
> email address that shows the message on his beeper .. I always have trouble
> remembering which of his five email addresses it is since I only send
> something to
> it about once a year.  A little "beeper" note beside the correct email
> address would
> be a helpful reminder.  Or a "cottage" beside someone's phone number but I
> guess
> entries in the "type" tables would be a suitable use for these items.

Correct - this is what Type is designed for.

> I noticed you have project data in the schema as well, do you mind review and
> comment on those tables too?

They're just part of DCL.  Not sure what you want me to discuss...

> I wondered about modifying timetrack to use the same table structure within
> the
> phpgw db but I think dcl (and phpgw project) uses a different approach to
> entering
> time than timetrack.  For instance, will it screw up dcl if time is entered
> without
> being assigned to a workorder? ie just enter start and stop times (for a
> date) and a
> text description (for that time) assigned to a project

DCL uses timecards to track time for work orders.  Once a work order has
been entered, the person doing the work issues as many time cards as
necessary to log what was done to resolve the work order.

But yes, they are probably all different - they have different target
audiences.

Mike