Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Adding to the phpgw wiki...

From: Izzy Blacklock
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Adding to the phpgw wiki...
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 20:18:46 -0700

On Sunday 23 Mar 2003 4:54 pm, Adam Hull wrote:
> I was curious about this too, but apparently one must be a developer to
> contribute to the phpgw wiki.
>
> Axis Groupware's wiki is open to the public. So, I welcome any
> documentation you would like to contribute, especially with regard to LDAP.
> This has been a sore spot for me as well. Please add to this document:
> http://docs.axisgroupware.org/index.php?page=phpGroupwareDocs

Thanks, I will.  However, I think it would be better for both projects if
phpGroupware documents where handled by the phpgw project and these documents
mirrored or linked to your project.  It doesn't benefit anyone to have two
separate documentation repositories for the same project.  This will lead to
duplication of efforts at the very least and likely incomplete documents on
both sides.  I don't need the extra hassle of having to read two versions of
documents maintained by different parties when I'm trying to learn how to
deploy something.  My life's already complicated enough.

> Axis Groupware is a distribution of phpgroupware, NOT a fork. I intend to
> make no changes to the API itself. And the changes I do make to the
> applications and templates are completely self-serving. I am merely
> scratching and itch and want to release it for others to use. Some of the
> apps are still rough around the edge's but offer features that the core
> phpgw apps do not. So, if this interests you, great, if not that's fine
> too.

I haven't had the time to look into how your distribution differs from the
official phpgw release.  The fact that your apps have features that the core
phpgw apps do not does, in my mind, create a fork.  This is not necessarily a
bad thing.  In fact, I've seen forks in other projects which turn out to be
good (Samba comes to mind).  That is not my concern.  I'm more worried about
the confused state of documentation.  Already apixgw seems to have better,
more current documentation then phpgw.  I think this is in part because of
the open nature of your wiki. Sadly, as a sysadmin trying to deploy phpgw, I
worry about compatibility issues with any documentation that comes from a
project with a different name;  fork or not! :(

As I mentioned in my reply to Dave Hall, I think a development wiki should be
created for the phpgw project.  It makes sense that both projects should
cooperate in it's creation.  ie, the existing documentation in both locations
should be brought together in a single location, I don't care which, and one
site should link to the other.  In this way, a single document repository is
being created with a common purpose; to make my life, and the life of other
sysadmins easier!  The resulting documentation can then be used as
contributions to the more polished "official" documentation.

...Izzy