Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] link between calender event and addresses

From: Alex Borges (lex)
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] link between calender event and addresses
Date: 03 Dec 2002 15:04:44 -0600

Stephan, Pim, all....

Well.... im shure stephan can vouch for the same. Ive started
implementing this for an internal branch of phpgw. I havent released it
because 1.- Its not even working, 2.- The way im doing it is an
extremely ugly hack (i need this working now, its not pretty at all).

I know you will agree with me in a couple of things if you want to do it
The Right Way (TM):

1.- The stable branch is a big nono....this is because it is  extremely
difficult to track changes to a calendar entry for non-system users (you
have no non-user participants field in the calendar tables). I think we
need another field in the databnase, maybe even another calendar table
(addressbook_id, calendar_id(maybe even just email address)) that would
help us relate addressbook entries with calendar entries.
The hack im doing rigtht now encodes the non system users and stashes
them in the description field.

2.- Id love it if someone started working on this in head and maybe i
could join them later. I will have some time on the holidays (10-31) and
i plan to work on a lot of stuff in head branch.

3.- Let alone that. I wrote the js addressbook and im having a hard time
making it understand what emails (addresbook entries) are selected from
the information im stashing as non-system participants and the uids that
come in the calendar tables normally (system participants).
Nevertheless, i can probably take care of that for head since it needs a
good rewrite.

4.- This whole issue is tied to the way you are implementing global user
directory (where you relate an account to an addressbook entry). The
officially supported way to do this is the userdir app (or something,
the one that marks as 'p' addressbook entries that are related to an
account). Lets think of a way to support that way and any other (i
rolled my own way)....

--
Alex Borges (lex) <address@hidden>
Step One Group