pan-users

[Pan-users] Newbie compiling Pan v0.133 in Debian stable...

From: Ant
Subject: [Pan-users] Newbie compiling Pan v0.133 in Debian stable...
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 09:48:35 -0700

> >> Well, there is at least one other option: You can grab the source and
> >> build it yourself. People here can help you with that.
> >
> > Hmm, source will be a mess and complex.
>
> Not necessarily. The tools have matured so much over the last 20 years,
> most of the complexity is handled automatically by the configure script.
>
> > Won't v0.133 require latest
> > versions of dependencies?
>
> Well, that is possible, but may not be the case (it should only require a
> version of a given dependency whose functionality it really needs). The
> only way to find out is to give it a try. If you do, remember that if
> configure says you're missing some library, it may be that you just need
> the corresponding '-dev' package, and synaptic will show you right away
> if that's the case and offer to install it (and its dependencies) for
> you. But if you find that synaptic shows only a version that is older
> than pan is asking for, then yes, things do become complex.

Just for kicks, I tried it:
$ ./configure
checking for gawk... gawk
checking how to create a ustar tar archive... gnutar
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles...
yes
checking whether make supports nested variables... yes
checking for g++... g++
checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.out
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of g++... gcc3
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
checking for localtime_r... yes
checking for close... yes
checking for tr1/unordered_set... yes
checking whether the compiler implements namespaces... yes
checking whether the compiler has ext/hash_set... yes
checking for gawk... (cached) gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... (cached) yes
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking errno.h usability... yes
checking errno.h presence... yes
checking for errno.h... yes
checking fcntl.h usability... yes
checking fcntl.h presence... yes
checking for fcntl.h... yes
checking whether NLS is requested... yes
./configure: line 5219: intltool-update: command not found
checking for intltool >= 0.40.6...  found
configure: error: Your intltool is too old.  You need intltool 0.40.6 or
later.

$ apt-cache search intltool
intltool-debian - Help i18n of RFC822 compliant config files
intltool - Utility scripts for internationalizing XML

$ apt-cache show intltool
Package: intltool
Section: devel
Installed-Size: 284
Maintainer: Jordi Mallach <address@hidden>
Architecture: all
Version: 0.41.1-1
Provides: xml-i18n-tools
Depends: gettext (>= 0.10.36-1), patch, automake | automaken, perl (>=
5.8.1), libxml-parser-perl, file
Filename: pool/main/i/intltool/intltool_0.41.1-1_all.deb
Size: 103582
MD5sum: 66bbbacd58da43ef58b0e88b21eb9d32
SHA1: 338bb4444ef7389dfab03c7e3bca397c0f29ea04
SHA256: 95d9eba1b5f88d3a3d65d395a180d024a2792619597f51579e3faed895760b52
 Automatically extracts translatable strings from oaf, glade, bonobo
 ui, nautilus theme and other XML files into the po files.
 .
 Automatically merges translations from po files back into .oaf files
 (encoding to be 7-bit clean). The merging mechanism can also be
 extended to support other types of XML files.
Tag: devel::i18n, implemented-in::perl, interface::commandline,
role::program, scope::utility, use::converting, works-with-format::xml

DOH! :(
--
Quote of the Week: "When I was five years old, I saw an insect that had
been eaten by ants and of which nothing remained except the shell.