pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: pcre error (was: undefined reference to iconv)

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: pcre error (was: undefined reference to iconv)
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 12:46:05 +0000 (UTC)

"arnuld uttre" <address@hidden>
posted address@hidden,
excerpted below, on  Wed, 14 Jan 2009 14:23:26 +0530:

> Ini the end, its the 2nd  longest email I have ever got on some mailing
> list. You do know a lot about PAN history. I think your reply needs to
> be something like Sticky :)

... And I only know about it from 0.11.something, back when a dependency
was GNOME (1.x).  By then Charles had been developing it for some time.
I know nothing of the real early stuff, pre-late-2001, IIRC.  (FWIW I got
serious about and switched to Linux when eXPrivacy came out, starting the
switch that weekend after having prepared for it since I first heard
about the authorization scheme.  That was late 2001.  It took me ~90 days
to get all the apps I wanted to use in Linux as parallels for the MS
based ones figured out and get everything including my then three 17"
monitors working.  Pan was the news app I settled on, KDE was the desktop
and most other apps were KDE based.)

I've always wondered about the original author, what he was like, if PAN
was GNOME based or pre-GNOME back then, why he quit, etc.  He's not even
listed in the rewrite any more, as it is just that, a rewrite, tho if it
were me I'd still credit him for the original code.  But it's not me...

BTW, PAN originally stood for "Pimp-Ass Newsreader", putting an emphasis
on where it always intended to go but hasn't yet reached, but as with
many "politically incorrect" names, that has been deemphasized as Linux
and free/libre and open source software has targeted the mainstream.  As
a result, tho I think I was the only one doing it, up until the rewrite,
I alway wrote it as PAN unless I was talking the executable file itself,
since the filename is lowercase.  But with the announcement of the
rewrite and release of 0.90, I finally gave it up as well, and now that's
a bit of trivia few know any more.

As for the original thread topic, I'll look into it and hope to reply
later, if we're lucky, with a link to an rpm you can try. =:^)