pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] On gmime signing: Was: compile error from current git ma

From: Jack
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] On gmime signing: Was: compile error from current git master head
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 13:57:31 -0400

On 9/9/21 13:38, Detlef Graef wrote:
Am 08.09.21 um 19:25 schrieb Dominique Dumont:
On Wednesday, 8 September 2021 00:04:51 CEST Jack wrote:
On 2021.09.07 03:44, Dominique Dumont wrote:
Gmime doc mentions: "Attempts to sign the content MIME part with
userid 's private key using the ctx signing context. "

I guess this code is used when posting a MIME message with a part
signed with your private gpg key. I never tried that.
Yes but how does one do that?  I have now posted two articles (to
comp.security.pgp.test) in one checking "PGP-Sign the article" and in
the other checking "PGP-Encrypt the article" but both appear to have
been sent with no encryption or signing.  I always thought of Mime as
dealing with attachments, but I see no way to attach anything to a
post.
Yes. I cannot get it to work either.

 From the link to the gmime docs, is it correct to assume that if
the signing failed, I would have seen some sort of error notification?
Indeed, but there's a small error in dgreaf patch. I've added a comment in his
MR.
I've created a fix in my repo, branch "gmime3-bugfix":

https://gitlab.gnome.org/dgraef/pan/-/tree/gmime3-bugfix

Commit:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/dgraef/pan/-/commit/48403462d6dda7079f85dc98c59a86c57d9a86a5

FYI, maybe someone would like to test it.
I'll  give it a try later - but I still have the question of how to actually invoke that code?  As far as I can tell, it would be run prior to posting an article which has an attachment that gets signed, but I have not found any way to attach anything to a post. I do have gpg keys, but I also haven't found a way to confirm that Pan knows about them.