Re: [Openvortex-dev] driving me nuts!

From: Callum Lerwick
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] driving me nuts!
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 06:00:53 -0600

> > I'm a little surprised stereo swapping is still out there.  Thought I
> > was pretty much the last one with that problem, and it went away months
> > ago.  'Course maybe kernel 2.6 is hiding it.
>
> I thought it was gone too.  However, the other night, it happened a few
> times.  I was _extremely_ surprised.  It seems to coincide with the
> "unexpected hw_pointer value" spam in the syslog, though a stereo swap
> does not happen upon each of those spams.

I can't find that message, nor anything else odd in my syslog, though I
dunno what my debug settings are at. I'm using this patch:

http://imptech.dhs.org/~imptech/au88x0-2.6.0-test5-spdif.diff.gz

2.6.0 seems to skip a lot less, but its still there. I've recently
started playing with the Planet CCRMA stuff
(http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/) and get no end of
skipping and stereo swapping with spiralsynthmodular, if any graphics
happen. Interestingly, if I run spiralsynth and xmms at the same time
(both using OSS), xmms will skip as well, however if I quit spiralsynth,
try as I might, I can whip a window around and I can't make xmms skip
anymore. Probably a buffer size thing. I assume spiral uses a small one,
xmms is set to 3000ms...

Native ALSA isn't working right now, hangs, skipping, and crashing,
though I'm pretty sure its an alsa-lib mismatch. I need to get that
figured out then pound on it with jack and ardour.