Re: [Openvortex-dev] driving me nuts!

From: J. Gordon Wolfe
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] driving me nuts!
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 01:39:56 -0500

On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 18:41, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> > Does yours have the alleged "optimized" chip that the Aureal branded I/O
> > Magic cards have?  The "real" SQ2500 had a new revision of the 8830 chip.
> > Aureal claimed that this chip was a little bit faster than previous
> > versions.  There was no sound difference, but there were later drivers that
> > were supposed to make better use of this "improved" chip.  On the other
> > hand, it could have been Aureal's way of getting a little better
> > performance out of their own "brand" than the other companies that used
> > their chips (like ATi has done).  It could have been that the new chips may
> > have had an identifier that told the drivers to work a bit harder.
>
> No idea. Sometime I'll pull it out and scan it or something. Does anyone
> here have a 'optimized' chip for sure? (i.e. an SQ2500?) If there really
> is a difference I would think all the driver disassembling would turn it
> up eventually. Perhaps the difference is only in the A3D parts. Could
> the fact that some people's AU8830's work and others don't (still hit
> the fastplay bug) be this difference? (is this still happening?)

I've got a SQ2500, and I know at least a couple other people on the list
do too.  I believe its revision A of the newer AU8830 chip.  At the
moment, I'm not experiencing any of those nagging problems.  My guess is
they didn't do anything substantial between revisions, maybe just
rearranged things in the silicon or something.  Or like you said,
perhaps there are more accelerated A3D functions or something like that.

> I've been considering starting a page where everyone can enter in
> exactly what card they have and what bugs show up on that card.
> Personally my card works great, other than the stereo swapping and the
> stuttering with low sample rates. Perhaps just use the ALSA Wiki.

I'm a little surprised stereo swapping is still out there.  Thought I
was pretty much the last one with that problem, and it went away months
ago.  'Course maybe kernel 2.6 is hiding it.

> My dad has a Montego II with all the extras, he uses it for home music
> production. Seeing as its WinXP support is apparently lacking for such
> things, it may find its way into my hands once he gives in and upgrades.
> It has the breakout card that has both optical and RCA S/PDIF, for both
> input and output, and the rear speaker output.
Gotta get that card, man...  Could be the key to spdif recording. ;)

--
J. Gordon Wolfe <address@hidden>